Tuesday, April 26, 2011

RIP X Ray Spex Singer Poly Styrene

Poly Styrene of X Ray Spex- When I was testing on my walkman how far the signal reached from the pirate radio station in the basement of the punk house years ago, the album I put on was Germ Free Adolescents. The filter wasn't on yet, which meant that all you could hear in an 8 block radius was X Ray Spex, which was AWESOME. Walking around midtown forcing everyone to listen to Poly was exciting! And I loved that album. Even before I heard it I was being compared to her lyrically and in the singing. I had heard "Identity" years before on a compilation and it had gotten in my head. I would have never written "Freaks Like Us" without her. She was a great inspiration to me and helped shape my aesthetic of the world. RIP Poly Styrene. You are missed so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment